Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Normandy today...and now for some pictures from the trip














Today was pretty spectacular. We traveled out to the Battle Beach area, toured and explored Point dú Hoc, and then ventured toward the American Cemetery. Because of changes in the area we were not able to enter Omaha Beach in our normal way, but were rather forced to walk down from the Cemetery. That turned out to be a very good thing, since the new method of approach is a far better introduction to the beach.

After the Beach we explored the cemetery itself (respectfully I might add). We found the grave of AVC Alum namesake James F Ward and Theodore Roosevelt Jr. We also toured the all new visitor center, which is an amazing addition to the facility, and one of the best that I have seen in my travels.
Next, we traveled to Arromanches, site of the British Mulberries, and the eastern most point of Sword Beach, site of the British offensive at Normandy. While there we visited the excellent museum in the city, ate Bulot (Sea Snails)...really...Brittany even ate one...I have the video.

2 comments:

  1. Can you tell me where I can get a copy of the map of the Normandy Assauly Beaches - it's the best I've seen. Who publishes it? Unfortunately the bottom is cut off the image. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked it from this page

    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7D2gBntgeG0/SclUOqZ3npI/AAAAAAAABBc/hCFcu9jBJ3U/s1600-h/Normandy+Assault+Beaches.jpg

    ReplyDelete